Playlist
February 11th, 2017
As part of a trailblazer scheme in partnership with Framestore, LexHag and Double Negative, The Mill have proudly created the first ever VFX Apprenticeship schemes within 2D & 3D.

The innovative scheme, led by The Mill’s Talent Manager Henry Bull, means that young people now have an opportunity to access and train within the industry from a grassroots level. Operating independently from the existing ‘Runners’ scheme at The Mill, the apprenticeship route offers a starting point for juniors with no prior experience, straight from post A-Level education.

The programme’s framework will see apprentices committing 80% of their time to on-the-job training within The Mill in their chosen field of either 2D or 3D, garnering the opportunity to work on live Mill projects. The remaining 20% of their time will be spent learning further technical skills in an academic environment with The Mill’s partnering colleges, Uxbridge and NESCOT.

Henry Bull comments; “We want the scheme to act as a new platform for young people to access 2D and 3D roles, learning from live experience, and the result to eventually be a more diverse range of future industry talent.”

In its first year the scheme saw The Mill welcome one apprentice within 3D and one apprentice within 2D, after meeting candidates at an interview day within The Mill.

The application process presented entry level questions to candidates, asking why they wished to take part in the apprenticeship. A shortlist was then decided, asking individuals to an interview day where studios met and chatted to the applicants. Team activities were arranged to evaluate time management skills, team-work ability, and how they worked within a highly stressful environment.


Connor McCann (pictured on the right) was the successful candidate, selected to become the first ever Mill 3D Apprentice. Below, Connor tells us of life as an apprentice at The Mill;

Connor, tell us about yourself and where you come from...

Well, I lived in Birmingham for all of my life before moving to South London to complete a college course as part of this apprenticeship.  I'm am currently based in North West London for the remainder of it.

What made you want to take on an apprenticeship in VFX?

At college I studied engineering and that's where I got a taste for modelling with CAD. I wanted to take an apprenticeship in VFX because I wasn't enjoying the restricted tolerances and wanted more creative freedom.

Tell us about your experience so far here at The Mill…

I love the people here at The Mill, the working atmosphere is so unique and positive. It’s very easy to get comfortable and everyone is happy to help, which makes learning on-the-job the most worthwhile experience.

What is your favorite ad that the Mill has created?

Probably Audi ‘Birth', it’s just so… shiny! This translates professionally as; incredible VFX work.

What do you hope to gain out of this apprenticeship?

I hope to gain an in depth understanding of 3D in the industry and a better overview of all other aspects within it.

Charles Dockerill (pictured on the left) was selected as The Mill’s first 2D Apprentice, below he tells us more about his experience so far;

Charles, tell us about yourself and where you come from...

I am a 2D apprentice based in  London.

What made you want to take on an apprenticeship in VFX?

During secondary school I had the chance to visit a post-house in London, from that point I knew I wanted to work within this industry, combined with studying at Met Film School for 6 months I felt like learning on the job would be the best route for me.

Tell us about your experience so far here at The Mill…

Everyone is so welcoming at  The Mill and willing to give advice. The whole collaborative process in general is inspiring. Also, having the chance to work on many different projects in such a short amount of time is a real highlight.

What is your favorite ad that the Mill has created?

 Recently, it would have to be Opel Motorsport 'Racing Faces'. The Squirrel is amazing.

What do you hope to gain out of this apprenticeship?

A solid foundation in all aspects of 2D, from roto to matte painting and exposure to all aspects of the pipeline.

To keep up to date with the latest learning, development and talent opportunities at The Mill, click here.